VATICAN CITY, OCT 17, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Sankt Gallen, Switzerland, presented by Bishop Ivo Furer, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Fr. Domenico Angelo Scotti of the clergy of the archdiocese of Chieti-Vasto, Italy, vicar general, as bishop of Trivento (area 1,234, population 57,210, Catholics 57,150, priests 72, permanent deacons 1, religious 70), Italy. The bishop-elect was born in Pollutri, Italy in 1942 and ordained a priest in 1967. He succeeds Bishop Antonio Santucci, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.
On Saturday, October 15, it was made public that he:
- Appointed Msgr. Hector Luis Morales Sanchez, vicar general of the diocese of Ciudad Valles, Mexico, as bishop-prelate of the territorial prelature of Huautla (area 1,284, population 134,300, Catholics 123,500, priests 19, permanent deacons 1, religious 14), Mexico. The bishop-elect was born in Tamuin, Mexico in 1954 and ordained a priest in 1979. He succeeds Bishop Hermenegildo Ramirez Sanchez M.J., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same territorial prelature the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Bishop Jorge Solorzano Perez, auxiliary of Managua, Nicaragua, as bishop of Matagalpa (area 6,794, population 500,000, Catholics 480,000, priests 27, religious 70), Nicaragua.
- Appointed Fr. Fortunato Pablo Urcey O.A.R., provincial prior of the province of "San Jose" in Madrid, Spain, as bishop-prelate of the territorial prelature of Chota (area 6,823, population 338,000, Catholics 316,000, priests 31, religious 33), Peru. The bishop-elect was born in Estollo, Spain in 1947 and ordained a priest in 1971.
RE:NER/.../... VIS 20051017 (290)